- 1 Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus, (this is Ahasuerus which reigned, from India even unto Ethiopia, over an hundred and seven and twenty provinces:)
- 2 That in those days, when the king Ahasuerus sat on the throne of his kingdom, which was in Shushan the palace,
- 3 In the third year of his reign, he made a feast unto all his princes and his servants; the power of Persia and Media, the nobles and princes of the provinces, being before him:
- 4 When he shewed the riches of his glorious kingdom and the honour of his excellent majesty many days, even an hundred and fourscore days.
- 5 And when these days were expired, the king made a feast unto all the people that were present in Shushan the palace, both unto great and small, seven days, in the court of the garden of the king’s palace;
- 6 Where were white, green, and blue, hangings, fastened with cords of fine linen and purple to silver rings and pillars of marble: the beds were of gold and silver, upon a pavement of red, and blue, and white, and black, marble.
- 7 And they gave them drink in vessels of gold, (the vessels being diverse one from another,) and royal wine in abundance, according to the state of the king.
- 8 And the drinking was according to the law; none did compel: for so the king had appointed to all the officers of his house, that they should do according to every man’s pleasure.
- 9 Also Vashti the queen made a feast for the women in the royal house which belonged to king Ahasuerus.
- 10 On the seventh day, when the heart of the king was merry with wine, he commanded Mehuman, Biztha, Harbona, Bigtha, and Abagtha, Zethar, and Carcas, the seven chamberlains that served in the presence of Ahasuerus the king,
- 11 To bring Vashti the queen before the king with the crown royal, to shew the people and the princes her beauty: for she was fair to look on.
- 12 But the queen Vashti refused to come at the king’s commandment by his chamberlains: therefore was the king very wroth, and his anger burned in him.
- 13 Then the king said to the wise men, which knew the times, (for so was the king’s manner toward all that knew law and judgment:
- 14 And the next unto him was Carshena, Shethar, Admatha, Tarshish, Meres, Marsena, and Memucan, the seven princes of Persia and Media, which saw the king’s face, and which sat the first in the kingdom;)
- 15 What shall we do unto the queen Vashti according to law, because she hath not performed the commandment of the king Ahasuerus by the chamberlains?
- 16 And Memucan answered before the king and the princes, Vashti the queen hath not done wrong to the king only, but also to all the princes, and to all the people that are in all the provinces of the king Ahasuerus.
- 17 For this deed of the queen shall come abroad unto all women, so that they shall despise their husbands in their eyes, when it shall be reported, The king Ahasuerus commanded Vashti the queen to be brought in before him, but she came not.
- 18 Likewise shall the ladies of Persia and Media say this day unto all the king’s princes, which have heard of the deed of the queen. Thus shall there arise too much contempt and wrath.
- 19 If it please the king, let there go a royal commandment from him, and let it be written among the laws of the Persians and the Medes, that it be not altered, That Vashti come no more before king Ahasuerus; and let the king give her royal estate unto another that is better than she.
- 20 And when the king’s decree which he shall make shall be published throughout all his empire, (for it is great,) all the wives shall give to their husbands honour, both to great and small.
- 21 And the saying pleased the king and the princes; and the king did according to the word of Memucan:
- 22 For he sent letters into all the king’s provinces, into every province according to the writing thereof, and to every people after their language, that every man should bear rule in his own house, and that it should be published according to the language of every people.
American King James Version (akjv) American Standard Version (asv) Basic English Bible (basicenglish) Douay Rheims (douayrheims) John Wycliffe Bible (c.1395) (wycliffe) King James Version (kjv) King James Version (1769) with Strongs Numbers and Morphology and CatchWords, including Apocrypha (without glosses) (kjva) Webster's Bible (wb) Weymouth NT (weymouth) William Tyndale Bible (1525/1530) (tyndale) World English Bible (web) Young's Literal Translation (ylt)
- Greek Modern
- Manx Gaelic
- Myanmar Burmse
- Norwegian bokmal
- Scottish Gaelic
King James Version (kjv - 3.1)2023-07-19
This is the King James Version of the Holy Bible (also known as the Authorized Version) with embedded Strong's Numbers. The rights to the base text are held by the Crown of England.
The Strong's numbers in the OT were obtained from The Bible Foundation: http://www.bf.org. The NT Strong's data was obtained from The KJV2003 Project at CrossWire: http://www.crosswire.org. These mechanisms provide a useful means for looking up the exact original language word in a lexicon that is keyed to Strong's numbers.
Special thanks to the volunteers at Bible Foundation for keying the Hebrew/English data and of Project KJV2003 for working toward the completion of synchronizing the English phrases to the Stephanas Textus Receptus, and to Dr. Maurice Robinson for providing the base Greek text with Strong's and Morphology.
We are also appreciative of formatting markup that was provided by Michael Paul Johnson at http://www.ebible.org. Their time and generosity to contribute such for the free use of the Body of Christ is a great blessing and this derivitive work could not have been possible without these efforts of so many individuals.
Version 3.1 incorporates a more recent set of TR data from Dr. Maurice Robinson than was used in all the earlier versions. The TR data was obtained in 2016 from the Greek New Testament sources website
This was integrated into the OSIS source files of an intermediate version 2.9a hosted at
It is in this spirit that we in turn offer the KJV2003 Project text freely for any purpose.
Any copyright that might be obtained for this effort is held by CrossWire Bible Society © 2003-2023 and CrossWire Bible Society hereby grants a general public license to use this text for any purpose.
Inquiries and comments may be directed to:
CrossWire Bible Society
- Encoding: UTF-8
- Direction: LTR
- LCSH: Bible.English
- Distribution Abbreviation: kjv
- Fixed .conf file GlobalOptionFilters
- Added Feature StrongsNumbers to configuration
- Added Morph option
- Fixed Psalm Titles to use correct GBF tags HT and Ht
- Changed New Testament to use a snapshot of the KJV2003 Project
- Changed Old Testament to use OSIS tags, removing the last of the GBF markup. Also updated to 20030624 snapshot of KJV2003. Compressed.
- Updated to 20040121 snapshot of KJV2003.
- Fixed bugs.
- Fixed bugs.
- Fixed bugs.
- Fixed bugs. Added Greek from TR.
- Added GlobalOptionFilter for OSISLemma
- Fixed bugs preventing the display of some Strong's Numbers.
- (2015-12-20) Moved Ps 119 acrostic titles before verse number. Added Feature for no paragraphs.
- (2016-01-21) Added markup to notes. Improved markup of Selah.
- (2021-04-04) Fixed errant article Strong's markup in Rom.3.26
- (2023-06-27) Updated the TR data in 5888 verses. Correction of Ps.2.4: the Lord → the
Lord.\ MOD-448: many errors with strong as G3688, should be G3588.\ Five locations where small caps is inappropriate, Lordchange for LORDExodus 28:36; 39:30, Deuteronomy 28:58, Jeremiah 23:6, Zechariah 14:20.\ MOD-411: Psalm 80, Shoshannim–eduth → Shoshannim–Eduth.\ MOD-408: italics in Nahum 1:3, ( hath) → (in Numbers 16:13. Duplicated entry in Eph. 3.20, spurious comma in Gn 1.2 and 2.9. Ezra 5:3,6; 6.6,13: morph="strongMorph:TH8674 changed for lemma="strong:H08674. hath).\ MOD-358: Missing red letter markup in Luke 11:2, red marker moved before 'When'.\ MOD-413 multiple text issues (italics, spelling, ...).\ MOD-441: Missing strong number for the seventh word.\ MOD-419: Spurious "or" removed; Exodus 17:15 "Jehovah–nissi" → "JEHOVAH–nissi".\ 1 John 2:23 has "(but)" whereas Blayney has "[but]"; Correction of some morph errors in I Corinthians 3:13 A-GMS → A-GSM; I Corinthians 11:6 and 14:24 N-NAM → N-NSM; Hb 9.13, 10.4: N-GMP → N-GPM; I Cor 7:37 2 change for 12; 1Chr.27.12 Abi-ezer → abiezer; Exod.17.15: Jehovah → JEHOVAH.\ Correction of Jer.23.6: L → LORD; MOD-376: Mk 1:10.19 have a wrong strong number: 1492. The correct number is 3708. Correction of rdg attribute type="alternative" (2.9) to "alternate". Misplaced
- (2023-07-19) Conf version updated to 3.1 to match KJVA version.
Basic Hash Usage Explained
We source our Bible text directly from the Crosswire modules. To monitor any updates, we generate "hash values" for each chapter, book, and translation. These hash values serve as unique identifiers that change only when the underlying content changes, thereby ensuring a tight integration between getBible and the Crosswire modules.
Every month, an automated process runs for approximately three hours. During this window, we fetch the latest Bible text from the Crosswire modules. Subsequently, we compare the new hash values and the text with the previous ones. Any detected changes trigger updates to both our official getBible hash repository and the Bible API for all affected translations. This system has been operating seamlessly for several years.
Once the updates are complete, any application utilizing our Bible API should monitor the hash values at the chapter, book, or translation level. Spotting a change in these values indicates that they should update their respective systems.
Hash values can change due to various reasons, including textual corrections like adding omitted verses, rectifying spelling errors, or addressing any discrepancies flagged by the publishers maintaining the modules at Crosswire.
The Crosswire initiative, also known as the SWORD Project, is the "source of truth" for getBible. Any modifications in the Crosswire modules get reflected in our API within days, ensuring our users access the most precise and current Bible text. We pledge to uphold this standard as long as getBible exists and our build scripts remain operational.
We're united in our mission to preserve the integrity and authenticity of the Bible text. If you have questions or require additional information, please use our support system. We're here to assist and will respond promptly.
Thank you for your understanding and for being an integral part of the getBible community.
You should select one of your favourite verses.
This verse in combination with your session key will be used to authenticate you in the future.
This is currently the active session key.
Should you have another session key from a previous session.
You can add it here to load your previous session.