- 1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
- 2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
- 3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
- 4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
- 5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.
- 6 And John was clothed with camel’s hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he did eat locusts and wild honey;
- 7 And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.
- 8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.
- 9 And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.
- 10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:
- 11 And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
- 12 And immediately the Spirit driveth him into the wilderness.
- 13 And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him.
- 14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
- 15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
- 16 Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
- 17 And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.
- 18 And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him.
- 19 And when he had gone a little further thence, he saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who also were in the ship mending their nets.
- 20 And straightway he called them: and they left their father Zebedee in the ship with the hired servants, and went after him.
- 21 And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue, and taught.
- 22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
- 23 And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out,
- 24 Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.
- 25 And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him.
- 26 And when the unclean spirit had torn him, and cried with a loud voice, he came out of him.
- 27 And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.
- 28 And immediately his fame spread abroad throughout all the region round about Galilee.
- 29 And forthwith, when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.
- 30 But Simon’s wife’s mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell him of her.
- 31 And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them.
- 32 And at even, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils.
- 33 And all the city was gathered together at the door.
- 34 And he healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew him.
- 35 And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.
- 36 And Simon and they that were with him followed after him.
- 37 And when they had found him, they said unto him, All men seek for thee.
- 38 And he said unto them, Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also: for therefore came I forth.
- 39 And he preached in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and cast out devils.
- 40 And there came a leper to him, beseeching him, and kneeling down to him, and saying unto him, If thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.
- 41 And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean.
- 42 And as soon as he had spoken, immediately the leprosy departed from him, and he was cleansed.
- 43 And he straitly charged him, and forthwith sent him away;
- 44 And saith unto him, See thou say nothing to any man: but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer for thy cleansing those things which Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.
- 45 But he went out, and began to publish it much, and to blaze abroad the matter, insomuch that Jesus could no more openly enter into the city, but was without in desert places: and they came to him from every quarter.
American King James Version (akjv) American Standard Version (asv) Basic English Bible (basicenglish) Douay Rheims (douayrheims) John Wycliffe Bible (c.1395) (wycliffe) King James Version (kjv) King James Version (1769) with Strongs Numbers and Morphology and CatchWords, including Apocrypha (without glosses) (kjva) Webster's Bible (wb) Weymouth NT (weymouth) William Tyndale Bible (1525/1530) (tyndale) World English Bible (web) Young's Literal Translation (ylt)
- Greek Modern
- Manx Gaelic
- Myanmar Burmse
- Norwegian bokmal
- Scottish Gaelic
King James Version (kjv - 3.1)2023-07-19
This is the King James Version of the Holy Bible (also known as the Authorized Version) with embedded Strong's Numbers. The rights to the base text are held by the Crown of England.
The Strong's numbers in the OT were obtained from The Bible Foundation: http://www.bf.org. The NT Strong's data was obtained from The KJV2003 Project at CrossWire: http://www.crosswire.org. These mechanisms provide a useful means for looking up the exact original language word in a lexicon that is keyed to Strong's numbers.
Special thanks to the volunteers at Bible Foundation for keying the Hebrew/English data and of Project KJV2003 for working toward the completion of synchronizing the English phrases to the Stephanas Textus Receptus, and to Dr. Maurice Robinson for providing the base Greek text with Strong's and Morphology.
We are also appreciative of formatting markup that was provided by Michael Paul Johnson at http://www.ebible.org. Their time and generosity to contribute such for the free use of the Body of Christ is a great blessing and this derivitive work could not have been possible without these efforts of so many individuals.
Version 3.1 incorporates a more recent set of TR data from Dr. Maurice Robinson than was used in all the earlier versions. The TR data was obtained in 2016 from the Greek New Testament sources website
This was integrated into the OSIS source files of an intermediate version 2.9a hosted at
It is in this spirit that we in turn offer the KJV2003 Project text freely for any purpose.
Any copyright that might be obtained for this effort is held by CrossWire Bible Society © 2003-2023 and CrossWire Bible Society hereby grants a general public license to use this text for any purpose.
Inquiries and comments may be directed to:
CrossWire Bible Society
- Encoding: UTF-8
- Direction: LTR
- LCSH: Bible.English
- Distribution Abbreviation: kjv
- Fixed .conf file GlobalOptionFilters
- Added Feature StrongsNumbers to configuration
- Added Morph option
- Fixed Psalm Titles to use correct GBF tags HT and Ht
- Changed New Testament to use a snapshot of the KJV2003 Project
- Changed Old Testament to use OSIS tags, removing the last of the GBF markup. Also updated to 20030624 snapshot of KJV2003. Compressed.
- Updated to 20040121 snapshot of KJV2003.
- Fixed bugs.
- Fixed bugs.
- Fixed bugs.
- Fixed bugs. Added Greek from TR.
- Added GlobalOptionFilter for OSISLemma
- Fixed bugs preventing the display of some Strong's Numbers.
- (2015-12-20) Moved Ps 119 acrostic titles before verse number. Added Feature for no paragraphs.
- (2016-01-21) Added markup to notes. Improved markup of Selah.
- (2021-04-04) Fixed errant article Strong's markup in Rom.3.26
- (2023-06-27) Updated the TR data in 5888 verses. Correction of Ps.2.4: the Lord → the
Lord.\ MOD-448: many errors with strong as G3688, should be G3588.\ Five locations where small caps is inappropriate, Lordchange for LORDExodus 28:36; 39:30, Deuteronomy 28:58, Jeremiah 23:6, Zechariah 14:20.\ MOD-411: Psalm 80, Shoshannim–eduth → Shoshannim–Eduth.\ MOD-408: italics in Nahum 1:3, ( hath) → (in Numbers 16:13. Duplicated entry in Eph. 3.20, spurious comma in Gn 1.2 and 2.9. Ezra 5:3,6; 6.6,13: morph="strongMorph:TH8674 changed for lemma="strong:H08674. hath).\ MOD-358: Missing red letter markup in Luke 11:2, red marker moved before 'When'.\ MOD-413 multiple text issues (italics, spelling, ...).\ MOD-441: Missing strong number for the seventh word.\ MOD-419: Spurious "or" removed; Exodus 17:15 "Jehovah–nissi" → "JEHOVAH–nissi".\ 1 John 2:23 has "(but)" whereas Blayney has "[but]"; Correction of some morph errors in I Corinthians 3:13 A-GMS → A-GSM; I Corinthians 11:6 and 14:24 N-NAM → N-NSM; Hb 9.13, 10.4: N-GMP → N-GPM; I Cor 7:37 2 change for 12; 1Chr.27.12 Abi-ezer → abiezer; Exod.17.15: Jehovah → JEHOVAH.\ Correction of Jer.23.6: L → LORD; MOD-376: Mk 1:10.19 have a wrong strong number: 1492. The correct number is 3708. Correction of rdg attribute type="alternative" (2.9) to "alternate". Misplaced
- (2023-07-19) Conf version updated to 3.1 to match KJVA version.
Basic Hash Usage Explained
We, at getBible, have a robust system to ensure our API stays up-to-date with the Crosswire project's modules. Let me walk you through how it all works, making sure it all makes sense without any technical jargon.
Our Bible text comes directly from the Crosswire modules. To track any changes, we create what are known as "hash values" for every chapter, book, and translation. Think of these hash values as unique identifiers that change when the content they're associated with changes. This system firmly links getBible with the Crosswire modules.
Every month, a process kicks off that takes about three hours. During this time, we pull the Bible text again from the Crosswire modules and place it into a special repository. We then check if there are any changes by comparing the new hash values and the actual text with the old ones. If we detect any changes, we automatically update our official getBible repository, which holds the JSON API files. This process has been running flawlessly for nearly three years and happens without any human intervention.
Once our official repository is updated, a new event is triggered to push these fresh files to our actual API endpoints, which is
https://api.getbible.net/v2/translations.json. This URL lists all the available translations in our API.
At this point, all the hash values are updated too. So, any application using our API should monitor for changes in these hash values, either on the chapter, book, or translation level. If a change in hash is detected, they should update their systems accordingly.
Changes in hash values may occur due to fixes in the text, such as adding missing verses or correcting spelling mistakes, or any other types of errors detected by the Publishers maintaining the modules at Crosswire.
The Crosswire project, also known as the SWORD Project, is therefore the "source of truth" for getBible. Any change in the Crosswire modules reflects in our API within a few days, ensuring our API always provides the most accurate and up-to-date Bible text. This will continue for as long as getBible exists and we're able to run our build scripts.
Remember, we're all in this together to maintain the integrity and accuracy of the Bible text. So, if you have any questions or need further clarification, please feel free to open issues in the relevant repositories, and we'll respond as soon as we can.
Thank you very much for your attention and for being a part of our mission at getBible.
You should select one of your favourite verses.
This verse in combination with your session key will be used to authenticate you in the future.
This is currently the active session key.
Should you have another session key from a previous session.
You can add it here to load your previous session.