Daily Light on the Daily Path
Wednesday 27-September, 2023
Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.
- Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
- O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand. Be not wroth very sore, O LORD, neither remember iniquity for ever: behold, see we beseech thee, we are all thy people. -- Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the LORD my God. Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth. -- It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth.
- Affliction cometh not forth of the dust, neither doth trouble spring out of the ground; yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.
Prov 16:5; Isa 64:8,9; Jer 31:18,19; Lam 3:27; Job 5:6,7,
Yea, hath God said?
- When the tempter came to Jesus, he said, If thou be the Son of God. -- Jesus said unto him, It is written, ... it is written, ... it is written. -- Then the devil leaveth him.
- I may not return with thee. For it was said to me by the word of the LORD, Thou shalt eat no bread nor drink water there. He said unto him, I am a prophet also as thou art; and an angel spake unto me by the word of the LORD, saying, Bring him back with thee into thine house, that he may eat bread and drink water. But he lied unto him. So he went back with him. The man of God ... was disobedient unto the word of the LORD: therefore the LORD hath delivered him unto the lion, which hath torn him, and slain him, according to the word of the LORD. -- Though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. -- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
Matt 4:3; Matt 4:4,7,10; Matt 4:11; 1 Kgs 13:16-19,26; Gal 1:8; Psa 119:11
A Devotional Textbook for Every Day of the Year, In the Very Words of Scripture.
Jonathan Bagster, the son of Samuel Bagster, created the Daily Light for his own family's daily devotion in 1875