- 1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham:
- 2 Abraham begot Isaac. And Isaac begot Jacob. And Jacob begot Judas and his brethren.
- 3 And Judas begot Phares and Zara of Thamar. And Phares begot Esron. And Esron begot Aram.
- 4 And Aram begot Aminadab. And Aminadab begot Naasson. And Naasson begot Salmon.
- 5 And Salmon begot Booz of Rahab. And Booz begot Obed of Ruth. And Obed begot Jesse.
- 6 And Jesse begot David the king. And David the king begot Solomon, of her that had been the wife of Urias.
- 7 And Solomon begot Roboam. And Roboam begot Abia. And Abia begot Asa.
- 8 And Asa begot Josaphat. And Josaphat begot Joram. And Joram begot Ozias.
- 9 And Ozias begot Joatham. And Joatham begot Achaz. And Achaz begot Ezechias.
- 10 And Ezechias begot Manasses. And Manasses begot Amon. And Amon begot Josias.
- 11 And Josias begot Jechonias and his brethren in the transmigration of Babylon.
- 12 And after the transmigration of Babylon, Jechonias begot Salathiel. And Salathiel begot Zorobabel.
- 13 And Zorobabel begot Abiud. And Abiud begot Eliacim. And Eliacim begot Azor.
- 14 And Azor begot Sadoc. And Sadoc begot Achim. And Achim begot Eliud.
- 15 And Eliud begot Eleazar. And Eleazar begot Mathan. And Mathan begot Jacob.
- 16 And Jacob begot Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
- 17 So all the generations from Abraham to David, are fourteen generations. And from David to the transmigration of Babylon, are fourteen generations: and from the transmigration of Babylon to Christ are fourteen generations.
- 18 Now the generation of Christ was in this wise. When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child, of the Holy Ghost.
- 19 Whereupon Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing publicly to expose her, was minded to put her away privately.
- 20 But while he thought on these things, behold the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in his sleep, saying: Joseph, son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife, for that which is conceived in her, is of the Holy Ghost.
- 21 And she shall bring forth a son: and thou shalt call his name Jesus. For he shall save his people from their sins.
- 22 Now all this was done that it might be fulfilled which the Lord spoke by the prophet, saying:
- 23 Behold a virgin shall be with child, and bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
- 24 And Joseph rising up from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him, and took unto him his wife.
- 25 And he knew her not, till she brought forth her first born son: and he called his name Jesus.
King James Version (kjv)
American King James Version (akjv) American Standard Version (asv) Basic English Bible (basicenglish) Douay Rheims (douayrheims) John Wycliffe Bible (c.1395) (wycliffe) King James Version (kjv) King James Version (1769) with Strongs Numbers and Morphology and CatchWords, including Apocrypha (without glosses) (kjva) Webster's Bible (wb) Weymouth NT (weymouth) William Tyndale Bible (1525/1530) (tyndale) World English Bible (web) Young's Literal Translation (ylt)
- Greek Modern
- Manx Gaelic
- Myanmar Burmse
- Norwegian bokmal
- Scottish Gaelic
Douay Rheims (douayrheims - 2)2009-10-24
THE HOLY BIBLE
TRANSLATED FROM THE LATIN VULGATE
DILIGENTLY COMPARED WITH THE HEBREW, GREEK, AND OTHER EDITIONS IN DIVERS LANGUAGES
THE OLD TESTAMENT
FIRST PUBLISHED BY THE ENGLISH COLLEGE AT DOUAY, A.D. 1609
THE NEW TESTAMENT
FIRST PUBLISHED BY THE ENGLISH COLLEGE AT RHEIMS, A.D. 1582
WITH ANNOTATIONS, REFERENCES, AND AN HISTORICAL AND CHRONOLOGICAL INDEX
THE WHOLE REVISED AND DILIGENTLY COMPARED WITH THE LATIN VULGATE BY BISHOP RICHARD CHALLONER, A.D.
PUBLISHED WITH THE APPROBATION OF
HIS EMINENCE JAMES CARDINAL GIBBONS
ARCHBISHOP OF BALTIMORE
- Direction: LTR
- LCSH: Bible. English.
- Distribution Abbreviation: douayrheims
- added Deuterocanonicals, used improved text source
- compressed module
Basic Hash Usage Explained
We source our Bible text directly from the Crosswire modules. To monitor any updates, we generate "hash values" for each chapter, book, and translation. These hash values serve as unique identifiers that change only when the underlying content changes, thereby ensuring a tight integration between getBible and the Crosswire modules.
Every month, an automated process runs for approximately three hours. During this window, we fetch the latest Bible text from the Crosswire modules. Subsequently, we compare the new hash values and the text with the previous ones. Any detected changes trigger updates to both our official getBible hash repository and the Bible API for all affected translations. This system has been operating seamlessly for several years.
Once the updates are complete, any application utilizing our Bible API should monitor the hash values at the chapter, book, or translation level. Spotting a change in these values indicates that they should update their respective systems.
Hash values can change due to various reasons, including textual corrections like adding omitted verses, rectifying spelling errors, or addressing any discrepancies flagged by the publishers maintaining the modules at Crosswire.
The Crosswire initiative, also known as the SWORD Project, is the "source of truth" for getBible. Any modifications in the Crosswire modules get reflected in our API within days, ensuring our users access the most precise and current Bible text. We pledge to uphold this standard as long as getBible exists and our build scripts remain operational.
We're united in our mission to preserve the integrity and authenticity of the Bible text. If you have questions or require additional information, please use our support system. We're here to assist and will respond promptly.
Thank you for your understanding and for being an integral part of the getBible community.
You should select one of your favourite verses.
This verse in combination with your session key will be used to authenticate you in the future.
This is currently the active session key.
Should you have another session key from a previous session.
You can add it here to load your previous session.