- 1 The book of the generations of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
- 2 The son of Abraham was Isaac; and the son of Isaac was Jacob; and the sons of Jacob were Judah and his brothers;
- 3 And the sons of Judah were Perez and Zerah by Tamar; and the son of Perez was Hezron; and the son of Hezron was Ram;
- 4 And the son of Ram was Amminadab; and the son of Amminadab was Nahshon; and the son of Nahshon was Salmon;
- 5 And the son of Salmon by Rahab was Boaz; and the son of Boaz by Ruth was Obed; and the son of Obed was Jesse;
- 6 And the son of Jesse was David the king; and the son of David was Solomon by her who had been the wife of Uriah;
- 7 And the son of Solomon was Rehoboam; and the son of Rehoboam was Abijah; and the son of Abijah was Asa;
- 8 And the son of Asa was Jehoshaphat; and the son of Jehoshaphat was Joram; and the son of Joram was Uzziah;
- 9 And the son of Uzziah was Jotham; and the son of Jotham was Ahaz; and the son of Ahaz was Hezekiah;
- 10 And the son of Hezekiah was Manasseh; and the son of Manasseh was Amon; and the son of Amon was Josiah;
- 11 And the sons of Josiah were Jechoniah and his brothers, at the time of the taking away to Babylon.
- 12 And after the taking away to Babylon, Jechoniah had a son Shealtiel; and Shealtiel had Zerubbabel;
- 13 And Zerubbabel had Abiud; and Abiud had Eliakim; and Eliakim had Azor;
- 14 And Azor had Zadok; and Zadok had Achim; and Achim had Eliud;
- 15 And Eliud had Eleazar; and Eleazar had Matthan; and Matthan had Jacob;
- 16 And the son of Jacob was Joseph the husband of Mary, who gave birth to Jesus, whose name is Christ.
- 17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David to the taking away to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the taking away to Babylon to the coming of Christ, fourteen generations.
- 18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was in this way: when his mother Mary was going to be married to Joseph, before they came together the discovery was made that she was with child by the Holy Spirit.
- 19 And Joseph, her husband, being an upright man, and not desiring to make her a public example, had a mind to put her away privately.
- 20 But when he was giving thought to these things, an angel of the Lord came to him in a dream, saying, Joseph, son of David, have no fear of taking Mary as your wife; because that which is in her body is of the Holy Spirit.
- 21 And she will give birth to a son; and you will give him the name Jesus; for he will give his people salvation from their sins.
- 22 Now all this took place so that the word of the Lord by the prophet might come true,
- 23 See, the virgin will be with child, and will give birth to a son, and they will give him the name Immanuel, that is, God with us.
- 24 And Joseph did as the angel of the Lord had said to him, and took her as his wife;
- 25 And he had no connection with her till she had given birth to a son; and he gave him the name Jesus.
King James Version (kjv)
American King James Version (akjv) American Standard Version (asv) Basic English Bible (basicenglish) Douay Rheims (douayrheims) John Wycliffe Bible (c.1395) (wycliffe) King James Version (kjv) King James Version (1769) with Strongs Numbers and Morphology and CatchWords, including Apocrypha (without glosses) (kjva) Webster's Bible (wb) Weymouth NT (weymouth) William Tyndale Bible (1525/1530) (tyndale) World English Bible (web) Young's Literal Translation (ylt)
- Greek Modern
- Manx Gaelic
- Myanmar Burmse
- Norwegian bokmal
- Scottish Gaelic
Basic English Bible (basicenglish - 1.3)2008-04-21
1949/1964 Bible in Basic English
Public Domain -- Copy Freely
The Bible In Basic English was printed in 1965 by Cambridge Press in England. Published without any copyright notice and distributed in America, this work fell immediatly and irretrievably into the Public Domain in the United States according to the UCC convention of that time. A call to Cambridge prior to placing this work in etext resulted in an admission of this fact.
For more information about the text, see the file BBE.DOC which contains the printed introduction page.
The most current and correct copies of these files can be obtained from the following. If any errors are located, please ensure you have the latest files, and if so, we would appreciate being informed of the error.
The Bible Foundation
Or by contacting:
1129 East Loyola Drive
Tempe, Arizona, 85282
- Direction: LTR
- LCSH: Bible. English.
- Distribution Abbreviation: basicenglish
- switched to Unbound Bible source and OSIS encoding
- compressed module
- minor correction to Rev 12:1
Basic Hash Usage Explained
We source our Bible text directly from the Crosswire modules. To monitor any updates, we generate "hash values" for each chapter, book, and translation. These hash values serve as unique identifiers that change only when the underlying content changes, thereby ensuring a tight integration between getBible and the Crosswire modules.
Every month, an automated process runs for approximately three hours. During this window, we fetch the latest Bible text from the Crosswire modules. Subsequently, we compare the new hash values and the text with the previous ones. Any detected changes trigger updates to both our official getBible hash repository and the Bible API for all affected translations. This system has been operating seamlessly for several years.
Once the updates are complete, any application utilizing our Bible API should monitor the hash values at the chapter, book, or translation level. Spotting a change in these values indicates that they should update their respective systems.
Hash values can change due to various reasons, including textual corrections like adding omitted verses, rectifying spelling errors, or addressing any discrepancies flagged by the publishers maintaining the modules at Crosswire.
The Crosswire initiative, also known as the SWORD Project, is the "source of truth" for getBible. Any modifications in the Crosswire modules get reflected in our API within days, ensuring our users access the most precise and current Bible text. We pledge to uphold this standard as long as getBible exists and our build scripts remain operational.
We're united in our mission to preserve the integrity and authenticity of the Bible text. If you have questions or require additional information, please use our support system. We're here to assist and will respond promptly.
Thank you for your understanding and for being an integral part of the getBible community.
You should select one of your favourite verses.
This verse in combination with your session key will be used to authenticate you in the future.
This is currently the active session key.
Should you have another session key from a previous session.
You can add it here to load your previous session.