- 1 Now after these things, in the reign of Artaxerxes king of Persia, Ezra the son of Seraiah, the son of Azariah, the son of Hilkiah,
- 2 The son of Shallum, the son of Zadok, the son of Ahitub,
- 3 The son of Amariah, the son of Azariah, the son of Meraioth,
- 4 The son of Zerahiah, the son of Uzzi, the son of Bukki,
- 5 The son of Abishua, the son of Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the chief priest:
- 6 This Ezra went from Babylon; and he [was] a ready scribe in the law of Moses, which the LORD God of Israel had given: and the king granted him all his request, according to the hand of the LORD his God upon him.
- 7 And there went [some] of the children of Israel, and of the priests, and the Levites, and the singers, and the porters, and the Nethinims, to Jerusalem, in the seventh year of Artaxerxes the king.
- 8 And he came to Jerusalem in the fifth month, which [was] in the seventh year of the king.
- 9 For upon the first [day] of the first month he began to go from Babylon, and on the first [day] of the fifth month he came to Jerusalem, according to the good hand of his God upon him.
- 10 For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD, and to do [it], and to teach in Israel statutes and judgments.
- 11 Now this [is] the copy of the letter that the king Artaxerxes gave to Ezra the priest, the scribe, [even] a scribe of the words of the commandments of the LORD, and of his statutes to Israel.
- 12 Artaxerxes, king of kings, To Ezra the priest, a scribe of the law of the God of heaven, perfect [peace], and at such a time.
- 13 I make a decree, that all they of the people of Israel, and [of] his priests and Levites, in my realm, who are disposed of their own free will to go to Jerusalem, go with thee.
- 14 Forasmuch as thou art sent by the king, and by his seven counselors, to inquire concerning Judah and Jerusalem, according to the law of thy God which [is] in thy hand;
- 15 And to carry the silver and gold, which the king and his counselors have freely offered to the God of Israel, whose habitation [is] in Jerusalem,
- 16 And all the silver and gold that thou canst find in all the province of Babylon, with the free-will-offering of the people, and of the priests, offering willingly for the house of their God which [is] in Jerusalem:
- 17 That thou mayest buy speedily with this money bullocks, rams, lambs, with their meat-offerings and their drink-offerings, and offer them upon the altar of the house of your God which [is] in Jerusalem.
- 18 And whatever shall seem good to thee, and to thy brethren, to do with the rest of the silver and gold, that do after the will of your God.
- 19 The vessels also that are given thee for the service of the house of thy God, [those] deliver thou before the God of Jerusalem.
- 20 And whatever more shall be needful for the house of thy God, which thou shalt have occasion to bestow, bestow [it] out of the king's treasure-house.
- 21 And I, [even] I Artaxerxes the king, do make a decree to all the treasurers who [are] beyond the river, that whatever Ezra the priest, the scribe of the law of the God of heaven, shall require of you, it be done speedily,
- 22 To a hundred talents of silver, and to a hundred measures of wheat, and to a hundred baths of wine, and to a hundred baths of oil, and salt without prescribing [how much].
- 23 Whatever is commanded by the God of heaven, let it be diligently done for the house of the God of heaven: for why should there be wrath against the realm of the king and his sons?
- 24 Also we certify you, that concerning any of the priests and Levites, singers, porters, Nethinims, or ministers of this house of God, it shall not be lawful to impose toll, tribute, or custom upon them.
- 25 And thou, Ezra, after the wisdom of thy God, that [is] in thy hand, set magistrates and judges, who may judge all the people that [are] beyond the river, all such as know the laws of thy God; and teach ye them that know [them] not.
- 26 And whoever will not do the law of thy God, and the law of the king, let judgment be executed speedily upon him, whether [it be] to death, or to banishment, or to confiscation of goods, or to imprisonment.
- 27 Blessed [be] the LORD God of our fathers, who hath put [such a thing] as this in the king's heart, to beautify the house of the LORD which [is] in Jerusalem:
- 28 And hath extended mercy to me before the king, and his counselors, and before all the king's mighty princes. And I was strengthened as the hand of the LORD my God [was] upon me, and I assembled out of Israel chief men to go up with me.
King James Version (kjv)
American King James Version (akjv) American Standard Version (asv) Basic English Bible (basicenglish) Douay Rheims (douayrheims) John Wycliffe Bible (c.1395) (wycliffe) King James Version (kjv) King James Version (1769) with Strongs Numbers and Morphology and CatchWords, including Apocrypha (without glosses) (kjva) Webster's Bible (wb) Weymouth NT (weymouth) William Tyndale Bible (1525/1530) (tyndale) World English Bible (web) Young's Literal Translation (ylt)
- Greek Modern
- Manx Gaelic
- Myanmar Burmse
- Norwegian bokmal
- Scottish Gaelic
Webster's Bible (wb - 1.2)2003-05-08
THE HOLY BIBLE,
CONTAINING THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS,
IN THE COMMON VERSION.
WITH AMENDMENTS OF THE LANGUAGE,
BY NOAH WEBSTER, LL. D.
PUBLISHED BY DURRIE & PECK.
Sold by HEZEKIAH HOWE & CO., and A. H. MALTBY, New Haven;
and by N.&J. WHITE, New York.
Webster Bible Electronic Format.
Beginning in July of 1991 the task of placing the Webster Bible text in electronic format began. The original purpose was to provide Larry Pierce, who produces the On-Line Bible program, with a more modern *public domain* text, similar in content and style to the AV but with a grammar that would provide better comprehension in todays English.
I plan on maintaining an accurate copy of the Webster text. Anyone finding an error should contact me; Anyone desiring to obtain the latest, most correct text, can find it on the Bible Foundation BBS, or can contact me in the following methods:
Home phone 602-829-8542
Address Mark Fuller
1129 East Loyola Drive
Tempe Arizona, 85282
Bible Foundation http://www.bf.org
I would like to thank the Bible Foundation not only for scanning nearly the entire Webster Bible but for encouraging me to undertake this monumental work; particularly around page 20 when I realized what I had gotten myself into. Special thanks to Jerry Kingery of the Bible Foundation for scanning, and Jerry Hastings for doing some preliminary scan cleaning and making the texts available on the BBS.
- Direction: LTR
- LCSH: Bible. English.
- Distribution Abbreviation: wb
- compressed module
- Fixed two small errors (noted in revision.txt)
Basic Hash Usage Explained
We, at getBible, have a robust system to ensure our API stays up-to-date with the Crosswire project's modules. Let me walk you through how it all works, making sure it all makes sense without any technical jargon.
Our Bible text comes directly from the Crosswire modules. To track any changes, we create what are known as "hash values" for every chapter, book, and translation. Think of these hash values as unique identifiers that change when the content they're associated with changes. This system firmly links getBible with the Crosswire modules.
Every month, a process kicks off that takes about three hours. During this time, we pull the Bible text again from the Crosswire modules and place it into a special repository. We then check if there are any changes by comparing the new hash values and the actual text with the old ones. If we detect any changes, we automatically update our official getBible repository, which holds the JSON API files. This process has been running flawlessly for nearly three years and happens without any human intervention.
Once our official repository is updated, a new event is triggered to push these fresh files to our actual API endpoints, which is
https://api.getbible.net/v2/translations.json. This URL lists all the available translations in our API.
At this point, all the hash values are updated too. So, any application using our API should monitor for changes in these hash values, either on the chapter, book, or translation level. If a change in hash is detected, they should update their systems accordingly.
Changes in hash values may occur due to fixes in the text, such as adding missing verses or correcting spelling mistakes, or any other types of errors detected by the Publishers maintaining the modules at Crosswire.
The Crosswire project, also known as the SWORD Project, is therefore the "source of truth" for getBible. Any change in the Crosswire modules reflects in our API within a few days, ensuring our API always provides the most accurate and up-to-date Bible text. This will continue for as long as getBible exists and we're able to run our build scripts.
Remember, we're all in this together to maintain the integrity and accuracy of the Bible text. So, if you have any questions or need further clarification, please feel free to open issues in the relevant repositories, and we'll respond as soon as we can.
Thank you very much for your attention and for being a part of our mission at getBible.
You should select one of your favourite verses.
This verse in combination with your session key will be used to authenticate you in the future.
This is currently the active session key.
Should you have another session key from a previous session.
You can add it here to load your previous session.